Register Date 2019-09-30
|Research Achievements||Experimental analysis and verification of characteristics and mechanism in natural ELM-free H-mode plasmas|
|Main Contributor||Jaehyun Lee, Young-Mu Jeon, Jayhyun Kim, Won-Ha Ko, Minwoo Kim, Yong-Un Nam (NFRI), Yongkyoon In, Hyeon K. Park (UNIST), Young-Chul Ghim, Jaewook Kim (KAIST)|
|Related Research Project||KSTAR joint experiment and plasma research|
|Main Contributor|| Qualitative Achievements
- Experimental verification of plasma fluctuation and perpendicular flow shear changes using 2D imaging diagnostics (ECEI, BES) for the characteristics and mechanism of quiescent H-mode (QH-mode) plasmas without external perturbation tools
- Provide a clue for the development of the QH-mode scenario through various measurement results and analysis, such as the presence of edge harmonic mode and interaction between the modes and the increase of plasma perpendicular flow shear
Improve the understanding of QH-mode plasma characteristics and mechanism using high-resolution 2D imaging diagnostics (ECEI, BES) to directly measure the electron temperature, density fluctuations, and perpendicular flow shear changes
- Experimental measurements of electron temperature, density fluctuations, and perpendicular flow shear, not simulation analysis based on profile changes, demonstrate the theory and principles of QH-mode plasma development.
|Expected Effect &
| Technical Perspectives
- Various KSTAR 2D imaging diagnostics were used to measure lots of physical quantities and utilized them for physics research to pursue the diversity of plasma physics research methods. This research method increased the understanding of the mechanism of QH-mode plasma
Economical & Social Perspectives
- If the edge-localized modes (ELMs) can be controlled naturally without external perturbation tools, it can be conducive to the plasma control technology, and longer lifetime of plasma facing components as well as improve the stability and confinement of the fusion plasma
Characteristics of the QH-mode plasma observed by the 2D imaging diagnostics. The existence of edge harmonic modes and the increase of perpendicular flow shear are characterized.