Register Date 2019-09-30
|Research Achievements||Achievement of 90 seconds high-performance plasma operation in KSTAR|
|Main Contributor||H.-S. Kim / Senior Sci., Y.-M. Jeon / Principal Sci., S.H. Hahn / Principal Sci.|
|Related Research Project||KSTAR Joint Experiments and Plasma Research|
|Main Contributor|| Qualitative Achievements
- In order to develop high performance plasma technologies for longer plasma operation, the plasma operation scenario was optimized and it led to longer high-performance plasma operation of about 90 seconds (89.7 seconds) in 2018 compared to plasma operation of 72 seconds in 2017.
- The optimization of real-time EFIT that reflects the characteristics of drifting magnetic diagnostic signal according to long plasma operation and the suggestion of optimal plasma shape for long plasma operation mitigated the gradual decrease of plasma performance in time and the thermal load of plasma facing components considered as issues for many years in terms of development of high-performance longer plasma operation technology.
- It is not just limited to numerical increase of plasma operation time (72 seconds → 90 seconds), but at the same time provides a basis for pursuing excellence in plasma performance (maintaining performance).
- 1 paper in preparation (SCI), 2 international conference presentations (1 scheduled for April)
- Compared to 72 seconds of plasma operation time in 2017, it achieved in 90 seconds of plasma operation time in 2018.
- For about 90 seconds, the electron temperature at the plasma core remained above 50 million degrees on average.
- A method was proposed to mitigate the reduction of plasma performance degradation in time and the increase of PFCs thermal load.
- KSTAR 'high performance' longer plasma operation has world-class technique. Although China's EAST operates for about 100 seconds, its plasma performance was relatively lower than that of KSTAR.
|Expected Effect &
| Technical Perspectives
- High performance longer plasma operation technology is essential for commercializing fusion energy. There are still engineering challenges to be solved in order to operate the high performance plasma for more than hundreds of seconds. It is expected that KSTAR's high performance longer plasma operation will be based on solving many difficult nuclear fusion challenges that occur over a longer period of time.
Economical & Social Perspectives
- In terms of plasma performance, 'high performance' produces more fusion reactions and fusion energy, which is more beneficial economically. The ‘longer continuous operation’ of high performance plasma is essential for maintaining continuous fusion reactions in nuclear fusion reactors.
|Evidence||2018 High performance longer plasma operation experiment #21735||Real-time EFIT optimization to mitigate the gradual decrease of plasma performance in time (#21706 before optimization, #21735 after optimization)||Reduction of the surface temperature growth of PFCs by suggestion of optimal shape for longer plasma operation|